- Alfa Romeo
- AM General
- Aston Martin
- Land Rover
2019 Lexus IS Review
- User Reviews
- Carfax Info
- Original MSRP$38,560 - $41,010
- Price Range$31,981 - $39,999
- Average Selling Price$35,870
- Fuel Economy (MPG)21/30 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSedan
Thanks to its refined handling, the 2019 Lexus IS is an agreeable companion, whether you’re on a short commute or long road trip. The IS also offers lots of bang for the buck, with a long list of standard features and a relatively affordable price tag.
Competing in the luxury class, the 2019 Lexus IS is a compact sports sedan that seats five passengers. It’s sold in IS 300 and IS 350 trim levels, and a special F Sport package is offered for those who want sporty performance. Buyers can choose between rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive.
For 2019, the base-model IS sedan gets upgrades designed to improve performance. Also, the IS adds triple-beam LED headlights as optional equipment, and its Lexus Enform mobile app now includes Amazon Alexa skill integration.
Its exterior design gives the IS sedan a decidedly athletic appearance. With its dramatic spindle-shaped grille and flared headlights, the car’s front fascia looks confident and aggressive. A bulging hood and sculpted side panels help give the sedan’s profile a taut, muscular look. A boxy rear fascia is home to wide taillights and a sizable bumper.
Our test IS 350 came in an exterior color that Lexus calls Nebula Gray Pearl. To our eyes, this restrained shade was a nice foil for the sedan’s extroverted design cues.
The base IS 300 comes with LED headlights, a power sunroof, heated power-adjustable side mirrors with integrated turn signals, LED daytime running lights and 17-inch alloy wheels. You can upgrade your IS with options such as triple-beam LED headlights, auto-dimming side mirrors, rain-sensing windshield wipers and 18-inch wheels.
Within its cabin, the IS showcases clean, modern design elements and high-quality materials. Embellished with handsome metallic accents, the center stack looks stylish and contemporary.
The IS offers respectable amounts of room for passengers, but it’s less spacious than other vehicles in its class. Our test car’s front seats were pleasant and accommodating. The rear seats offered adequate room, but other models in this segment have back seats that are more generously sized.
WIth a trunk that offers just 10.8 cubic feet of room for your belongings, Lexus’ IS trails the pack when it comes to cargo capacity. Rival models provide much more cargo space. For example, with the 2019 BMW 3 Series sedan, you get 16.9 cubic feet of cargo capacity.
Base-model IS sedans are equipped with simulated leather upholstery, dual-zone automatic climate control, a 60/40-split folding rear seat, power-adjustable front seats and an auto-dimming rearview mirror. The list of optional equipment includes heated and ventilated front seats, a power rear sunshade, a heated steering wheel and a power-adjustable tilt-and-telescoping steering column.
With the IS, rear-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is available. Lexus gives buyers a choice of three engines.
The base IS 300 is motivated by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine good for 241 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. With this engine, an eight-speed automatic transmission sends power to the rear wheels.
When equipped with optional all-wheel drive, the IS 300 swaps the four-cylinder engine for a 3.5-liter V6 that produces 260 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque. This powerplant is governed by a six-speed automatic transmission.
The IS 350 uses a 3.5-liter V6 that is good for 311 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque. With rear-wheel drive, this engine is governed by an eight-speed automatic transmission. In models equipped with all-wheel drive, this engine is paired with a six-speed automatic.
While other models in this segment offer more energetic performance, we were impressed with how smooth and poised our test car was in everyday driving. Its suspension shielded passengers from ruts and potholes.
The optional F Sport package gives buyers a chance to sharpen the performance capabilities of this small Lexus sedan. This package brings in a sport-tuned suspension.
According to EPA estimates, fuel economy for the 2019 Lexus IS peaks at 21/30 mpg city/highway. Other models in this segment offer better gas mileage. For example, with the 2019 Audi A4, fuel economy tops out at 27/34 mpg.
IS buyers enjoy an attractive selection of tech amenities. Base models are equipped with keyless entry and ignition, a Scout GPS Link navigation app, two USB ports, an auxiliary input jack, Bluetooth phone and music streaming, a 7-inch display screen, HD and satellite radio and an eight-speaker audio system.
Also, all models come with a one-year trial subscription to Lexus Enform Remote. This mobile app allows you to remotely lock and unlock the car’s doors, check fuel levels and start the engine, all by using your smartphone. Additionally, Lexus Enform Remote facilitates communication with devices within your home that are connected to Amazon Alexa.
Options include a 10.3-inch display screen, integrated navigation and a 15-speaker Mark Levinson audio system. Unfortunately, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration aren’t offered.
The IS comes with a robust range of standard driver-assistance features. The base IS 300 is equipped with a lane-departure warning system with steering assist, adaptive cruise control, a rearview camera, automatic high beams, a forward collision warning system and automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection.
The list of optional driver-assistance amenities includes a blind-spot monitor, rear cross-traffic alert and front and rear parking sensors.
Lexus’ IS 300 has a base price of $38,410, not including a $1,025 destination fee. With all-wheel drive added, the IS 300 starts at $40,860.
The Lexus IS 350 has a starting price of $42,030. Pricing for this trim level jumps to $44,195 with all-wheel drive included.
We’d select the all-wheel-drive IS 300 for secure handling in rough weather, and we’d add the Premium package ($1,070). This package includes heated and ventilated front seats, a blind-spot monitor, rear cross-traffic alert, auto-dimming side mirrors and a power-adjustable tilt-and-telescoping steering column. With this package included, the IS 300 costs $42,955, including destination.
The IS costs thousands less than rival models from BMW and Mercedes-Benz, and it comes with a generous lineup of standard amenities. Overall, it offers strong value.
Though it provides less cargo space than some rivals, the 2019 Lexus IS impresses with its poised handling. It also offers an attractive range of standard features.
This Lexus sedan is more affordably priced than its German rivals. It’s an attractive choice for luxury-car shoppers who appreciate good value.
Specs & Features
- Ultra White
- Liquid Platinum
- Atomic Silver
- Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0
- Nebula Gray Pearl
- Eminent White Pearl
- Nightfall Mica
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 17.0 X 7.5 Inches
- Tire Type: 225/45R17
Available exterior features
- Door Handle Color: Body-color
- Exhaust: Dual Tip
- Exhaust Tip Color: Chrome
- Front Air Dam
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Grille Color: Black With Chrome Accents, Chrome Surround
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Window Trim: Chrome
- Front Track Width: 60.4 Inches
- Ground Clearance: 5.3 Inches
- Height: 56.3 Inches
- Length: 184.3 Inches
- Rear Track Width: 61 Inches
- Wheelbase: 110.2 Inches
- Width: 79.8 Inches
- Width Without Mirrors: 71.3 Inches
- Curb Weight: 3,583 Pounds
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 4,630 Pounds
- Side Mirror Adjustments: Manual Folding, Power
- Side Mirrors: Heated, Integrated Turn Signals
- Armrests: Rear Center With Cupholders, Rear Folding
- Door Sill Trim: Scuff Plate, Stainless Steel
- Door Trim: Leatherette
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Floor Mats: Front, Rear
- Interior Accents: Metallic-tone
- Shift Knob Trim: Alloy, Leather
- Steering Wheel Trim: Alloy, Leather
- Air Filtration
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Rear Vents: Second Row
- Power Locks: Anti-lockout
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- Cargo Volume: 10.8 Cubic Feet
- Passenger Volume: 90.2 Cubic Feet
- Front Headroom: 38.2 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 36.9 Inches
- Front Hip Room: 54.3 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 54 Inches
- Front Legroom: 44.8 Inches
- Rear Legroom: 32.2 Inches
- Max Seating: 5
- Seating Rows: 2
- Front Shoulder Room: 55.9 Inches
- Rear Shoulder Room: 53.4 Inches
- Standard Seating: 5
- Antenna Type: Diversity, Mast
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth, USB, IPod/iPhone, Jack
- Digital Sound Processing
- In-Dash CD: MP3 Playback, Single Disc
- Radio: AM/FM, HD Radio, Voice Operated
- Radio Data System
- Satellite Radio: SiriusXM
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Total Speakers: 8
- Watts: 293
- Connected In-car Apps: Google POIs, Sports, Stocks, Weather
- Infotainment: Enform
- Infotainment Screen Size: 7 In.
- Driver Assistance App: Roadside Assistance
- Electronic Messaging Assistance: Voice Operated, With Read Function
- Navigation App: Scout GPS Link
- Phone: Hands Free
- Real Time Traffic
- Smart Device App Function: Lock Operation, Maintenance Status, Vehicle Location
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- 10-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- Sport Bucket Front Seats
- 8-Way Power Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Split-Folding Rear Seat
- 60-40 Split Rear Seat
- Upholstery: Leatherette
- Digital Odometer
- Driver Information System
- Electroluminescent Instrumentation
- External Temperature Display
- Fuel Economy Display: MPG, Range
- Gauge: Oil Pressure, Tachometer
- Multi-function Display
- Trip Computer
- Trip Odometer: 2
- Warnings And Reminders: Lamp Failure, Low Fuel, Engine Oil, Coolant, Low Battery, Maintenance Due, Tire Fill Alert
- Engine Type: 4 Cylinders
- Displacement: 2.0 Liters
- Horsepower: 241
- Torque: 258
- Front Shock Type: Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Front Struts
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Suspension Type: Double Wishbone
- Rear Shock Type: Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Transmission Type: 8-Speed Shiftable Automatic
- Type: A
- Gears: 8
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 21
- Highway (MPG): 30
- Combined (MPG): 24
- Axle Ratio: 3.13
- Drive Mode Selector
- Acceleration (0-60MPH): 6.9
- Aerodynamic Drag: 0.28
- Turning Circle: 34.2
- New Car Basic Warranty: 48 Months/50,000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 72 Months/70,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 72 Months
- Small Overlap Front - Driver SideG
- Small Overlap Front - Passenger SideN/A
- Moderate Overlap FrontG
- Side ImpactG
- Roof StrengthG
- Head Restraints and SeatsG
- Front Crash PreventionSuperior
- Child Safety Door Locks
- Lane Keeping Assist
- First Aid Kit
- Electronic Stability Control: Standard
- Energy Absorbing Steering Column
- Rearview Monitor: in Dash
- Side Impact Airbags: Standard
- Lane Deviation Sensors
- Child Seat Anchors: LATCH System
- Crumple Zones: Front/rear
- Camera System: Rearview
- Pre-collision Warning System: Audible Warning/visual Warning
- Body Side Reinforcements: Side Impact Door Beams
- Anti-lock Brakes Four Wheel: Standard
- Front Driver Airbags: Standard
- Impact Sensor: Door Unlock/fuel Cut-off
- Daytime Running Lights: Standard
- Autonomous Braking
- Front Passenger Airbags: Standard
- Safety Brake Pedal System
- Emergency Interior Trunk Release
- Brake Assist: Standard
- Side Curtain Airbags: Standard
Lexus IS For Sale
Related Models For Sale
Lexus IS Trims For Sale
Shopping for a Used Car?
carfax.com has thousands of car dealers with used cars for sale
- Alfa Romeo
- AM General
- Aston Martin
- Land Rover